Good attendance is crucial to a student's academic success and in forming life-long habits and self-discipline. The Simi Valley Unified School District attendance policy is very specific and recognizes the joint responsibility of the school district and the parents/guardians in working together to ensure good attendance patterns for all students.
Per Education Code Section 48205, a student may be excused legally from school when the absence is for the following reasons:
1. Personal illness or injury.
2. Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health office.
3. Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
4. Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family.
5. Jury duty in the manner provided by law.
6. Pupil is custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school.
7. Exclusion from school because student is either the carrier of a contagious disease or not immunized for a contagious disease.
8. To spend time with a family member who is to be deployed or returning from a combat zone. The school Superintendent shall determine the period of time to be excused.
9. Pupils in grades 7-12 who leave school (with prior approval of the principal or his/her designee) to obtain confidential medical services. The pupil is to return a copy of the medical professional’s appointment verification form.
10. Upon written request of the parent or guardian and prior approval of the principal or his/her designee and pursuant to board policy, a student’s absence may be excused. Reasons include, but are not limited to:
- Appearance in court
- Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
- Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four hours per semester
- Employment interview or conference
- Attendance at funeral services for someone not a member of the immediate family
- Family emergencies
- Appearance at SARB or SART